Click for Cuiaba, Brazil Forecast

Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Brazilians are cool!

Ha, that story about Dad writing the talk on the way home from Thatcher reminds me of just about every day of the mission. We are usually late for everything and always have something to do. P-Days are wonderful, because you get to relax, but even those are pretty rushed. Hahaha. And I´ll have you know that I´m eating very well. The members always make too much food for us, and I usually eat til I´m sick. I´m much more used to the language and phrases that people use in the three weeks that I´ve been here. I´ve improved a lot, but it´s still a bit weird. And I´m much more comfortable with teaching lessons now. Still lots of room for improvement, though!

I have used the DEET a little bit, because I tend to get mosquito/spider bites at night. I might try and use the net, because they are getting itchy. All of the anti-itch, sunscreen, neosporine has come in quite handy. The other elders were impressed with how prepared I was (thank you mom).

Zone Conference was awesome too! I learned a lot. Our mission´s new name is CuiaBatizar. Catchy, eh? It was really fun to see all of the missionaries and get motivated to BAPTIZE! I had to get up and bear my testimony with the other 2 greenies (they were Brazilian) and I couldn´t really tell what we were supposed to do so I just bore my testimony and talked about how I don´t want to waste any time on the mission. One of my big things is that I don´t want to have any regrets when I look back on the mission and think that I could have worked harder. The blisters on my toes are proof of that, hahahaha. President Oliveira complimented my Portuguese many times and he thinks that it´s coming along really well, so that made me feel good. For this, eu sou muito grato to have a Brazilian companion. Then, at night I can speak in English with Elder Onken or have him explain something to me for my companion. It´s a good mix.

This week, Elder Magdo and I have 5ish baptisms planned. We´re hoping that all goes well and that we finally get one. We´ve been working with this one family (Katia (she´s 19 and has 3 kids), Johnny, Maike, and Riki) but it´s hard to catch them all. They´re all siblings and really cool. Another is Wellington. He´s a 16 year old who really likes the Church, but he works an awful lot for Herbal Life and is hard to catch as well. He´s gonna be a great convert though. Also, there is Erika who has been taught all the lessons, but stopped going to church or something (I don´t really know). Then, I was on a split with Elder Onken and we invited her to be baptized and she accepted. Hopefully all goes well, because she´s really hard to catch at home. It takes forever to walk to each of the houses, and if they´re not home, then you just have to hope that you´ll catch them the next time.

The Brazilians are way cool though. Like I say, they are all really relaxed and anyone will let us get their information to teach them, although we never have time to teach all of the Potential Investigators. It´s another story whether or not they read and pray, but at least they are receptive. Other than that, I am having a great time. Getting used to the food, I have a nice collar tan now, and enjoying Terere and Guarana (two awesome drinks here)! The members always have juice at lunch, and I have yet to try one that I didn´t like. I pray for each of you every night! Oh, look up 2 Nephi 7:7. I think that´s what it was. I really like it. Remember to work hard and not be lazy Church members! We can only be happy while we are busy! I love you! I can´t wait to hear you on Sunday!

-Elder Carpenter

No comments:

Post a Comment