Click for Cuiaba, Brazil Forecast

Sunday, January 9, 2011

Christmas and New Years

12/27/10
Olá família!

It made my day to talk to yall on Christmas. Thank you so much! I´m sorry that I have a funny accent, but it´s just going to get worse, hahaha. I really liked my presents too. I´m totally making mac & cheese today. SO EXCITED! Everyone else got a pretty good haul as well. That makes me joyful. Christmas is the best when you are with family (in person as well as in spirit).

Christmas for us was really good, too. We got together with some other elders and drank cider and played the Monopoly card game. It was fun stuff. Oh, and this was the 24th. At midnight, everyone lights fireworks and gets drunk in the street. It´s good stuff! On the 25th, we had a huge lunch at Carlos Cafe´s house. All of his family was there, including people from the ward, stake president, etc. They have quite the connections. Lots of meat and Coke! Good stuff.

We also had a confirmation this week, for the little guy that got baptized 2 weeks ago. He wasn´t able to go last week, so yesterday was the day. His sister came and his other step-sister. We´re trying to work with them to get ready for baptism. Sadly, Rhuom´s mom doesn´t have much desire to know the truth. We´ve tried everything with her, but she just doesn´t have the desire. We won´t give up on the rest of them though.

We had a really spiritual lesson last week, too. There is a member here, Carlos, who has been a member for 3 years. His dad has been super anti-Mormon for forever, yet has never even been to Church. So, it was his birthday last week, and Carlos took us over to teach his dad. He actually really liked the lesson! The Spirit was really strong. He doesn´t want anybody to force him in to getting baptized or going to Church, but one day I know that he´s going to come. At least, he knows what our Church is and has a lot more respect and love for his son.

Well, it´s almost 2011! President Oliveira wants us to hit the ground running. We´re all working on making goals so that this can be the best year ever. I need to get working on my goals so that I can make the best of this year. Have a wonderful week! I won´t get to hear from you til next year (wink). Wow, that was cheesy.

Loves,
Elder Carpenter

1/3/11
Dear Family,
 
Ano Novo 2011! Another year has already started. Time flies! It´s kind of insane, né?  Hopefully, the new law about being able to use fireworks in AZ is still in effect in 2012! If not, I will punch somebody in the throat.
 
We had 3 cool things that happened this week:
1) New Year´s here was exciting! We had 4 missionaries come over to our house and had a churrasco! It started raining at 4ish in the afternoon, and never really stopped. So, we did the churrasco under our patio area and plugged in a fan to move the smoke outside. It was really good! And we drank lots of Coke and played lots of UNO. At 11:30, all the people in the street started lighting off fireworks until midnight, hahaha. Then, we all drank cider (without alcohol) at midnight! It was good stuff. Did I mention that we drank lots of Coke?
 
2) We helped Bruno and Jessica move out of his mom´s house. It was really fun, because we got to ride in the back and hold everything down in the truck. Bruno is a friend of a guy in the ward since childhood, but never got baptized. Now, Bruno and Jessica are planning on getting married soon, and then get baptized. Hopefully, it doesn´t take too long! I am afraid of getting transferred, before it happens (knock on wood). He´s been coming to Church for a solid 5 or 6 weeks now, outside of all the times that he used to go when he was younger.
 
3) I got to complete one of my life goals this week! I got to drink alcohol-free beer! Much to my dismay, it was super gross! I thought it would have tasted better. I´m now exactly sure what all the people find in that stuff, because I could barely finish my cup.
 
With that, let´s get the new year started! One of my goals for this month is to bear my testimony every month, because every Sunday everyone gets that feeling that they need to get up there and bear it, so I just decided to make it a goal. And also to study more about Christlike traits in Preach My Gospel. There is nothing more precious that we can have in this life. Have a wonderful week, folks and happy 2011 to everyone!
 
Com sinceridade,
Elder Carpenter

No comments:

Post a Comment