Click for Cuiaba, Brazil Forecast

Tuesday, March 23, 2010

I need to learn Portugese!

I played the piano for Priesthood this week and it went well. I´ve been practicing a hymn everyday with Elder Syndergaard, so that we can build up our reportoire. We´re both a bit rusty. Oh, and I got called to give a 5 minute talk. We prepare one everyone week and they pick random people (well, not random) to give them. Mine was on patience and I was pretty nervous. I think it went well, but I felt weird talking in front of all those people. Then, we got to give the lesson in district meeting, too (Syndy and I). It was a busy day! Time flies here! I can´t believe it has been 6 weeks. So, we went proselyting last Friday around our CTM area boundaries. Uh, I got a little bit mugged and we just gave the buy our money ($15). Just messing! There was no such danger and we had a good time! We had 4 Livros de Mormon that we had to give to people, and we gave out three in the first 45 minutes. One to a lady with a dog, one to some 13ish year old kids, one to a guy in front of a store (who we actually had a long conversation with. He kept talking about the Bible and we were quite lost), and one to a grandma in the park with her two grandkids. They all were really nice and committed to reading the introduction. They actually seemed interested too! I love Brazilians. We gave out some cards with the Church number for people to call, and just talked to everyone that we saw: high school kids in a park who were laughing at our bad Portuguese, lots of old people, many Catholic women, and some lady who didn´t believe in God. Oh, and there was some kid that looked about my age on the sidewalk corner that was either drunk or dead. He didn´t really move. It was an awesome experience though! We just talked with everyone and said hi to everyone, even if they didn´t look back, ha. I loved it. We really just have to open our mouths and talk with the world. Oh, and I really need to learn Portuguese. Elder Syndergaard and I were pretty lost with people when they spoke to us, so we just bore our testimonies of things and tried to answer their questions. It´s super hot outside, so we were dying afterwards. Water! Also, it´s much more of an organic thing. I always thought it would be more Here´s our church, take it or leave it. But these are real people with their own needs, and we have to cater to them. I really like it, and can´t wait to get out in the field. Oh, and I´m much more used to the food here now. I feel like a carnivore because they have 2 things of meat every meal, but I´m liking it now. It´s good stuff! The milk is kind of funky though, haha. Oh, and it took 11 days for my first letter to get there?! I don´t think they sent them til the 6th. Crazy. I got letters from Mason and Randy on the 22 that were sent on the 8th and 10th. So that should help us gauge the mail better. I hope that all is well in Israel and know that I love you all! I am doing fine! You are in my prayers. -Elder Carpenter

No comments:

Post a Comment